Saturday, May 12, 2012

Joy Is Found in Comforting Christ

Its been hard for me to write about joy -- even for my friend -- because I struggle with it.  I think it is because to a certain extent, I don't want to be joyful.  I want to cling to the hurt/frustration/whatever because I can use it to protect myself.  It is an excuse to stay in my comfort zone or a way to put all my problems on someone else.  Also, I think that it is less threatening to be a grumbler.

However a comment from a reader on my page  Shoulder Wound of Christ reminded me how to have the greatest joy. 

"Our Lord bearing this unrecorded burden for us has touched my heart and soul so greatly.  Whatever I must do in my days..., I offer it up for His shoulder wound.  In doing so, I feel blessed that my Lord has allowed me to comfort Him; therefore, He comforts me."

Personally, when I give to others, I am filled with joy.  I love helping others.  I love to find thoughtful ways to warm their hearts.  When I surrender my time and energy to helping others, I forget about all my interior grumblings -- and my life is no longer as awful as I make it seem.

If I am joy filled when I comfort even strangers, what joy awaits me when I comfort my Lord?  Even if all my dreams and plans are for naught, if I could comfort my Savior even for a brief moment isn't it worth it?

My prayer for today:

Jesus, it is my new hope that I can comfort You today by sharing in Your Passion.  Do with me what You will.  If you desire me to suffer with You the betrayal of Judas, or the abandonment of Your beloved Apostles at the hour of Your greatest need, I will no longer grumble about betrayals against me.  If You want me to suffer physically in my body, I do so willingly.  Your body was shred by scourging.  It was bruised by beatings and falls.  It was pierced by thorns, nails and a spear... You could count all of Your bones.  What do I have to complain about? Teach my joy in all things.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about my comment on our Lord's shoulder wound.

    I find that the simplest of things can be offered for my Lord's wound. For example, rising early in the morning, walking down some stairs, having to bend down to pick something off the floor, or stubbing my toe..., all things quite insignificant to me, but things I would have endured anyway. In offering up these moments to my Lord's shoulder wound, I spend those moments thinking of my Lord and His wound; therefore, lightening my burden and strengthening my relationship with God. It is my way of showing my Lord that He is always in my heart, that I consider the great debt He paid for me and that I love Him. If I fill my day with moments like these, "of running to my Lord," I feel so much joy rather than burden in my life ..., because it is He who sends me peace through His Holy Spirit and what I would have suffered or done anyway is now my gift for my Lord, although it is He who actually is giving me a great gift of joy.

    I find that any physical pain, even the slightest pain I must endure is no longer a burden when I give it to my Lord, but rather a joy because it is no longer felt in vain.

    May God bless you and comfort you always,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carolyn.

    I appreciate your beautiful and deep love for our Savior. Please pray that I will begin to likewise always hold Him in my heart. I feel so blessed to hear your testimony about how you daily abide in and with Him.

    ReplyDelete