Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Resurrection - A Reason to Overcome Suffering

Today is the most glorious feast of the Resurrection.
    
"I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will tell of all thy wonderful deeds. 
I will be glad and exult in thee, I will sing praise to thy name, O Most High." 
- Psalms 9:1-2

Of all of Our Lord's deeds, His Resurrection is His most glorious.  However, His Resurrection only could come after the intense suffering that afflicted all of our Lord's body, senses, emotions and being. There was not one part of Him that did not suffer.

"In His head He suffered from the crown of piercing thorns; 
in His hands and feet, from the fastening of the nails; 
on His face from the blows and spittle; and from the lashes over His entire body. 
Moreover, He suffered in all His bodily senses:
 in touch, by being scourged and nailed;
 in taste, by being given vinegar and gall to drink; 
in smell, by being fastened to the gibbet in a place reeking with the stench of corpses, 
"which is called Calvary"; 
in hearing, by being tormented with the cries of blasphemers and scorners;
 in sight, by beholding the tears of His Mother and of the disciple whom He loved." 
- Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theolgica

He also suffered from abandonment, betrayal, false accusations, sadness, weariness, humiliation and fear.  Generally speaking He endured every suffering that we can experience.  He chose to go through the pain we are experiencing in order to not only redeem us, but to also show us how to deal with suffering. Good can come out of every wound and hurt, if we just give our sufferings to Him.  One day in God's timing, we will be relieved of this suffering; we will understand why it was necessary.  

"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, 
and fill up on my part that which is lacking of the afflictions of Christ 
in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church
- Colossians 1:24

The Resurrection is the manifestation that good things will come.  Consequently, we must look to Him in all things and endure our sufferings with a thankful heart. "Not my will, but Thy Will".
 
"And He said to all, "If any man would come after me, 
let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 
For whoever would save his life will lose it; 
and whoever loses his life for my sake, he will save it." 
- Luke 9:23-24  

No comments:

Post a Comment