Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Turning into Pinocchio

Last night I lied.

I am ashamed of myself.  Although, I told a white lie (half truth) to protect my reputation,  I think that in reality I caused more damage. Maybe nobody I told the lie to cares. Perhaps, they already forgot about it.

BUT IT MATTERS.

It matters because:

1) Lying is a sin

2) The fear of truth is not healthy.  It shows that I am unable to accept the reality of a certain situation, because I am too afraid/ashamed to admit a particular problem out loud to others.

3) Lack of true humility. I think that if I say everything "is ok" and pretend certain events didn't happen, I can fix the issues with no shame. No one needs to be the wiser, right? Wrong.

4) I am denying others the opportunity to practice Christian virtue.

5) Lack of trust in God. I realized that I am trying to control the situation/people's reactions, etc.,  where I should just be trusting God to take care of me because the situation is out of my control.

"As Isidore says (Etym. x) "honesty means an honorable state," wherefore a thing may be said to be honest through being worthy of honor. Now honor, as stated above (Q[144], A[2], ad 2), is due to excellence: and the excellence of a man is gauged chiefly according to his virtue, as stated in Phys. vii, 17. Therefore, properly speaking, honesty refers to the same thing as virtue." Summa Theologica


No comments:

Post a Comment