Sunday, June 24, 2012

Philothea's Solemn Protestation

As set out by Saint Francis De Sales, Introduction to the Devote Life, Pt. I, Bk. XX

After Philothea's prostestation (act of contrition) is made, St. Francis congratulated her saying, "It only remains for you to take the pen in your hand, sign with a good heart the act of protestation, and afterward go to the altar, where God on His part will sign and seal your absolution....In this way, methinks, Philothea, your soul will be purged from sin and from all affections to sin." 

SOLEMN PROTESTATION, TO ENGRAVE ON THE SOUL THE RESOLUTION TO SERVE GOD AND TO CONCLUDE THE ACTS OF REPENTANCE

I, the undersigned, in the presence of the eternal God and all the court of heaven, having considered the boundless mercy of His divine goodness towards me, most unworthy and wretched creature, whom He created out of nothing, preserved, sustained, delivered from many dangers, and loaded with so many benefits; but above all, having considered  the incomprehensible sweetness and clemency with which this most good God has so graciously borne with me in my iniquities, so often and so lovingly inspired me, inviting me to amend my ways, and so patiently waiting for me  to repent until this N___ year of my age, in spite of all my ingratitude, disloyalty and faithlessness, whereby deferring my conversion and despising His graces I have so shamelessly offended Him; after having considered also that on the day of my holy baptism I was so happily and holily vowed and consecrated to my God to be His child, and that, contrary to the profession which was then made in my name, I have so many times miserably and detestably profaned and violated my spirit, applying it and employing it against His divine Majesty; returning now at last to myself, prostrate in heart and in spirit before the throne of divine justice, I acknowledge, avow and confess myself to be rightly attainted and convicted of the crime of high treason, and guilty of the death and passion of Jesus Christ, by reason of the sins which I committed, for which He died and suffered the torment of the cross, so that I deserve in consequence to be lost and damned for ever.

By turning toward the throne of the infinite mercy of this same eternal God, after having detested with my whole heart and with all  my strength the iniquities of my past life, I ask and humbly pray for grace and pardon and mercy, together with an entire absolution from my sins, in virtue of the death and passion of the same Lord and Redeemer of my soul, relying on which as the sole foundation of my hope, I again promise and renew the sacred profession of fidelity made on my behalf to my God at baptism, renouncing the devil, the world and the flesh, detesting their miserable suggestions, vanities and concupiscences, for all the time of this present life and for eternity. And turning to my God, who is full of loving kindness and compassion, I desire, I propose, intend and resolve irrevocably to serve Him and love Him now and eternally, to this end giving, dedicating and consecrating to Him my spirit with all its facilities, my soul with all its powers, my heart with all its affections, my body with all its senses; protesting that I will nevermore misuse any part of my being against this divine will and sovereign Majesty to which I sacrifice and immolate myself in spirit, to be evermore loyal, obedient and faithful to Him, without ever wishing to retract or change my resolution. But alas! if through some suggestion of the enemy or through some human infirmity, I should in any way contravene this my resolution and consecration, I protest this very day and resolve, with the assistance of the Holy Ghost, to rise again as soon as I perceive my fall, and to turn to the divine mercy again, without any delay whatsoever.

This is my inviolable and irrevocable will, intention and resolution, which I avow and confirm without reserve or exception, in the same sacred presence of my God, and in the sight of the Church triumphant, and in the presence of the Church militant my Mother, who hears this my declaration in the person of him who, as her minister, hears me make this declaration. Be pleased, O my eternal God, all powerful and all good, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, to confirm this resolution in me, and to accept this sincere and interior sacrifice of mine in the odour of sweetness; as it pleased Thee to give me the inspiration and the will to make it, give me also the strength and the grace necessary to fulfill it. O, my God, Thou art my God, the God of my heart, the God of my soul, the God of my spirit; I acknowledge Thee as such and adore Thee now and for all eternity. Vive Jesus.     

No comments:

Post a Comment