Friday, September 28, 2012

COVETOUSNESS vs GRATITUDE - Day 5

GRATITUDE, GREED, AND GRUMBLING
 by Jamie Munson
The totality of God’s gifts is much more than we deserve. Though many Christians would nod their heads in agreement, few live as though it were actually true. Rather than gratitude for God’s grace we exhibit greed for our own gain. The difference between these two outlooks influences and directs every aspect of life:

Gratitude
Greed
Attitude
Humility (Phil. 2:3)
Grumbling (Phil. 2:15)
Perspective
Grace: “I am a sinner who deserves death but Jesus paid the price and gave me his perfect righteousness.”
Entitlement: “I am a good person who deserves heaven—plus a comfortable, pain-free existence in the meantime.”
Desire
Jesus is enough to satisfy my life.
Jesus is not enough. I want wealth / fame / comfort / power as well.
Money
God gives. Therefore my money is his, and I use it to glorify him.
I earn. Therefore my money is mine, and I use it however I please.
Possessions
Contentment: I have enough
Covetous: I never have enough
Church
Serve as a member of God’s family
Be served as a consumer
Job
Work heartily for the Lord; cultivating thanks for God’s provision (Deut. 8:17; Col. 3:23)
Work begrudgingly for the man; becoming bitter and jealous against others (James 3:16)
Family
A blessing to embrace
A burden to escape
Future
Eternal: optimistic/hopeful (2 Cor. 4:7–9)
Temporal: pessimistic/anxious
Worship
Time, energy, and resources go to God
Time, energy, and resources go to me
Identity
Jesus and his achievement
My abilities and my achievements
Giving
Generous
Guilt- or gain-motivated (or non-existent)

Which column most accurately describes your life? In which areas are you encouraged? Where do you need to repent and seek forgiveness? Your church, your small group, and your family are following your example, for good or ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment