Saturday, September 29, 2012

COVETOUSNESS vs GRATITUDE - Day 6

A series inspired by the Introduction to the Devote Life would not be complete without a snippet from St. Francis De Sales.

Meditation III: Of the Benefits of God

Preparation
1. Place yourself in the presence of God.
2. Ask him to inspire you.

Considerations
1. Consider the bodily gifts which God has bestowed upon you; your body, so many conveniences for its support, so many lawful consolations for it, such friends, such helps. And compare your case with that so so many others who are worth more than you, and who have not received these benefits: some disabled in body, in health, in limb; others abandoned to the mercy and reproaches, and of contempt and dishonor; others oppressed with poverty; and God has not willed that you be so miserable.

2. Consider your gifts of the mind; how many persons are there in the world who are dull-witted, raving, insane; and why not you of that number? God has been favorable to you. How many there are who have been brought up boorishly and in extreme ignorance; and Divine Providence has allowed you to receive a good education and honorable upbringing.

3. Consider your spiritual graces: O Philothea, you are a child of the Church; God has taught you to know Him from your youth, How many times has He given you His Sacraments? How many times has He given you inspirations, interior lights and reproaches you for correction? How many times has He delivered you from the occasions of spiritual ruin, to which you have been exposed? And during these past years have you not had leisure and opportunity to make progress in the good of your soul? Consider a little in detail how sweet and gracious God has been to you.

Affections and Resolutions
1. Marvel at the goodness of God. Oh! how good God is towards me! Oh how good He is! O Lord, how rich in mercy is Thy Heart, and generous in loving kindness. O my soul, let us recount for ever the graces which He has given us.

2. Marvel at your ingratitude. But what am I, O Lord, that Thou are mindful of me? Oh! how great is my unworthiness! Alas! I have trampled underfoot Thy benefits; I has dishonored Thy graces, misusing them in contempt of Thy sovereign goodness; I have opposed the abyss of my ingratitude to the abyss of Thy grace and favor.

3. Stir yourself up to gratitude. Well then, O my heart, be no longer faithless, ungrateful and disloyal to this great Benefactor. And shall not my soul henceforth be subject to God, who has wrought so many wonders and graces in me and for me?

4. Ah, then, Philothea, withdraw your heart from such and such pleasures, consecrate it to the service of God who has done so much for it; apply the powers of your soul to know Him and be grateful to Him, by such and such exercises which are conductive to that purpose; make a careful use of the means which are in the Church to save yourself and to love God. Yes, I will be assiduous in prayer, in the frequentation of the the Sacraments, I will listen to the Word of God, I will put into practice the inspirations and counsels that I receive.

Conclusion
1. Thanksgiving -- Thank God for the knowledge which He has now give you of your duty, and all the benefits which you have hitherto received.

No comments:

Post a Comment