Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Dark Night of the Soul (Poem) - St. John of the Cross

Although, I have previously posted a version of this poem (click here),  I also enjoy this version which is translated by Josephine Koeppel, O.C.D. from "The Science of The Cross" by Edith Stein (St. Teresa of the Cross):

One dark night, as love's yearning did enflame me
I escaped unnoticed
O happy fate!
I escaped unnoticed
When my house lay at rest so still.

Quite safe within the dark,
Disguised and on a secret ladder,
O happy fate!
In darkness and concealed,
Still my house lay at rest so still.

In this night so full of chance
In secrecy, since none caught sight of me,
Since, too, I was aware of naught
And without light or guide
Save that which in my heart was burning.

And this conducted me
Far surer than the light of the brightest day.
Thence, where for me eagerly was waiting
He whom I know so well,
Aside, there was none who could part us.

O night that was a guide!
O night, more lovely than the rosy dawn!
O night, you that united
The most beloved with her Lover
Transforming the beloved into her Lover.

At my blossoming breast
Which has reserved herself for Him alone,
He gently fell asleep.
Softly I caressed him
The stir of waving cedars brought coolness.

As morn's wind with lightest touch
Playfully began to lift his hair
With gentle hand
He encircled my neck
All my senses vanished.

In silence and forgetfulness
I leaned my head on the Beloved,
All things drained away from me,
Vanished was the fear
Buried neath lilies into oblivion.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


An artistic/musical interpretation of this prayer:

No comments:

Post a Comment