Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Watch Your Thoughts

June is my favorite month, mostly because it is my birthday month. :-)

 As I thought about what I want to do for my birthday and who I want to spend it with, I reflected upon what I did last year for my birthday.

Last year a friend bought me a huge bouquet of red roses and hosted a party for me. He even made the dinner and cake himself! The whole thing was wonderful... until I blew it with my thoughtlessness.

For awhile I was harboring some resentment for some plans we were making for the summer.  I was really frustrated by a particular situation.  The discussion of the summer came up at the party and I blurted out something that completely humiliated him and brought me to shame. It was almost as if an evil spirit came out of me. My resentment and self-centeredness just poured out. What I said was only about two or three sentences worth, but it was enough to hurt him. It was a mortifying experience. While this friend was putting forth the effort to give me a great birthday, I showed ingratitude.

This year for my birthday, I wish to improve myself so that my soul isn't that ugly anymore.  I sometimes feel like Dorian Grey.  This time next year, I want to reflect back on my year and be happier at the choices I made.  This past year has been filled with many regrets, I made many foolish and selfish decisions.

Consequently, my birthday present to myself this year will be humility. I am going to spend the month examining and practicing this virtue.

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
-Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment