Thursday, June 16, 2011

Humility: Accepting Love From Others

I had prepared a quote about humility today to reflect upon. However, the love that I was shown recently trumps it. A few days ago many people showed me their love and support.

Some days, I feel of little value or used by the people around me. For a brief period in my life, I was very depressed and death seemed to be a desirable state. I never hurt myself or anything, yet, my soul was dead. I felt as if I would never find joy again.

I was wrong. God is so good. He has blessed me in so many new ways. The people in my life make me want to live again - and not as the old me, either. They, by their simple acts of kindness, make me aspire to be better. The kindness of these people humble me.

I think humility is letting others take care of you.  It is accepting that you can't do everything on your own. It is accepting that you are not perfect, seeing yourself as you really are: fallen, but loved.  Humility is allowing others to be generous/self-donative towards you, while you accept gracefully.  

Humility is swallowing pride and submitting yourself to their gifts of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment