Saturday, July 14, 2012

What if... there was no afterlife?

On the radio a few days ago, a DJ presented the question:  "Would you still be a Christian.... IF you knew that there was no afterlife?"  He asked this hypothetically to his Christian audience to gauge the importance of this belief in day to day living.  He wasn't interested in theological answers -- just an in the moment reaction.

The main response was: "No."

Many said if there was no afterlife, the hope that they have in Christ would be dead. While a Christian life promotes goodness in people, it is not impossible to be "good" outside of Christ.

I see what they are saying, but I disagree.

Without going into theology... I think that an afterlife is a great motivation for people to be good, that is, to have a relationship with Jesus -- like an award system.  However, one doesn't need the reward system to have a true relationship with Him. Likewise one doesn't need a reward system to be a "good" person.

For me the afterlife is a beautiful bonus.

I am glad, it is not hypothetical, but an actually reality-- because then one day my love for God will be made more perfect, and I will experience happiness more than I could possible imagine. However, I love God because He is God.

Therefore, I think that even if there was no afterlife, I would still try to have a relationship with Jesus, because Jesus is God.

The Incarnation, Passion, Death, and Resurrection was the proof of God's love.  If there was no life after death, then going into the theology of how things would be different will get very complicated, but I am sure that God --the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit -- would still have proved that He is our very Life.  Maybe, I would not be called "Christian" but I would hope to follow God with everything I have.

God is unchanging, eternal, all powerful, and not dependent on an afterlife for His creations.  He didn't need to create our souls immortal.  He could have created us like the insects. (I don't believe that insects, or dogs go to heaven.)  Does God not care about them?  Does He not still order them, giving them a part in His creation?  Did he not say that their existence was GOOD?

The fact that I, a miserable creature, was deemed worthy of existence is Divine Mercy and Goodness in action.  I am grateful for my existence and the opportunity to love God.  I owe Him everything.  He gave me life. Thus, my duty to follow His Commandments would not be lessened.

My question to the DJ's audience would be:

Would Moses still have lead the Israelites out of Egypt.... IF he knew he wouldn't ever see the "promised land"?

No comments:

Post a Comment