Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Perfect Love (Mary's Song)

Often I wonder what it was like for those who lived with Jesus. What did those who walked among Him  experience? Could I stand by and watch Jesus die?

Probably not. I most likely would have fled like the Apostles. (I can't even watch "The Passion" all the way through. I close my eyes at the scourging and crucifixion.)

I am humbled to think of my own weakness. I know that my weaknesses effect my daily living.  I do not always stand by those who are suffering and offer comfort. In the midst of my own heartaches,  I put my own needs first.  I do not love with a perfect love.

This is why I admire Mary. Simeon predicted that a sword would pierce her heart. (Lk 2:35) Watching her Son die was this piercing. Mary could have fled. Yet, she stayed close to Jesus during her heartbreak. She was strong and faithful. She said "yes" to the cross.

Thank you Mary for being an example of strength and love. I imagine it was not easy forgiving those who tortured your Son before your eyes, or accepting in every moment that this was the Will of the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment