Sunday, October 21, 2012

Latin, a Comfort and Blessing

I can’t help it. I have to give praise to the Church's universal language, Latin!!!

Now it is important to note that I grew up in the Norvus Ordo liturgy in English. Nevertheless, in my youth I was surrounded by Gregorian chant, and traditional Latin hynms.  In highschool, Latin was part of my curriculum, and I continued my Latin education in college. During college, I attended the Norvus Ordo Mass in Latin, and also the Triditine Mass.  

It is also important to note that for me the language in of itself, is... ok. This is because I am not a huge language person. In high school and college, I was not enthusiastic about studying it.

However, there is something very magnetic and comforting about it.

No matter what kind of day I am having, if I hear a priest speaking in Latin or hear a Latin chant, I am immediately brought back to God's presence in a way that English fails.Latin is a symbol of timelessness and unity. And for me, it means peace and trustful surrender.

I especially love listening to the Our Father, that is, Pater Noster sung in Latin. Other favorites of mine include: Salve Regina, Te Deum, Panis Angelicus, Benedictus, Ave Verbum Corpus, Ave Maria, and Pie Jesus.

If you are unfamiliar with Latin hymns, I recommend starting out with "The Priests" as an introduction. (They also sing some great songs in English.) Below is Pie Jesus which means Merciful Jesus:


No comments:

Post a Comment